Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Anil should have been at the helm long ago....




Anil Kumble has emerged as Captain courageous and with his already solid reputation, further enhanced, from this Sydney fiasco. The way he has conducted himself and his team is commendable. For some reason, I can't help but think Anil would have scalped this spot over Rahul and maybe even over Saurav had he made the right noises. But then that is Anil for you, one who just knows to play, and play hard. He does not get dragged into petty politics or arguments.

At this point, I wish to clarify that both Saurav and Rahul have done the captain's job in an excellent manner and I am not taking away any credit from them for that. But, I just feel for this 37 year old man. I am sure he must also be thinking, what if I had this opportunity 3 -4 years ago.

But lets keep the past buried, for we have a bright future to look forward to with Anil Kumble at the helm of the Indian Test Cricket team. Anil, way to go big brother, I hope you are around for another 2-3 or maybe even 4 years. I would love to see you lead the team with that steely look in your eyes when the Indian team tours "Down Under" in 2011.

Mr. Ponting, Anil sure is a nice bloke, but he is way ahead of you in terms of upholding the spirit of the game. Learn from him. Learn how to accept defeat gracefully and treat everyone around you with respect.

Learn from us Indians.

No comments: